For the latest travel advice from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office including security and local laws, plus passport and visa information check www.gov.uk/travelaware and follow @FCOtravel and Facebook.com/FCOtravel.
Keep informed of current travel health news by visiting www.travelhealthpro.org.uk.
The advice can change so check regularly for updates.
The Foreign & Commonwealth Office also provides the following advice:
Before you depart:
· Take out appropriate travel insurance before travelling and make sure it covers you for all the activities you want to do.
· If you are travelling within Europe, ensure you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) that hasn’t expired and understand what it covers -you still need full travel insurance though! For your free EHIC card visit www.nhs.uk/ehic.
· Learn about the laws, customs and entry requirements of the country you’re visiting and understand how they differ from home, check www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice.
· Check your passport is valid, fill out the emergency details, look after it while travelling and keep it in a safe place. Make sureyou have all necessary visas.
· Make copies of important travel documents, take a picture or make copies and store them securely using a secure data storage site.
· Research vaccinations or any other medical requirements for your destination, and if necessary visit a travel health clinic before you travel. For medical advice visit travelhealthpro.org.uk.
· Tell your friends or family about your travel plans and where you’re going and leave emergency contact details.
· Take enough money with you and have access to emergency funds.
· Ensure you take the contact details of the local British Consulate in case of emergencies - www.gov.uk/government/world/embassies.
· Understand what consular staff can and can’t do to help British nationals travelling overseas, check www.gov.uk/government/publications/support-for-british-nationals-abroad-a-guide.
· Act responsibly, and be responsible for yourself when abroad.
If you require any further information, please see the "Travel Advice" section on our Essential Information page.